When the vibrant hues of Onam paint the landscape of Kerala, it’s not just the flowers and festivities that come alive. The aroma of mouth-watering dishes also floats through the air.
Among the various flavours that grace the Onam Sadya, Semiya payasam stands out as the sweet embodiment of tradition and celebration.
Picture this: A warm, comforting bowl of sweetness that embraces you with every spoonful. That’s the magic of Semiya Payasam.
In this blog, we’re diving into the world of Semiya Payasam – from its humble ingredients to its significance and delightful variations.
|Ingredients||Measurements (1 serving)|
|Semiya Vermicelli||½ cup|
|Clarified butter (ghee)||2 teaspoon|
|Raisins||12 (as per taste)|
You can get all the ingredients from any one of our Grocery stores in Seattle or order online.
- In a pan, heat the ghee (clarified butter) and roast the vermicelli until they turn brown. Keep them aside
- In the same pan, roast the cashews and raisins until they turn golden. Set them aside as well.
- In a separate pot, bring the milk to a gentle boil and let it simmer until it reduces slightly.
- Add the roasted vermicelli to the milk and let it cook until the vermicelli becomes soft and absorbs the milk.
- Now, add the sugar and saffron strands to the mix and stir well until the sugar dissolves.
- Toss in the roasted cashews, raisins, and fragrant crushed cardamom.
- Let the flavours meld for a few more minutes, and your Semiya Payasam is ready!
Beyond the sweetness –
Semiya Payasam is not just a dessert – it is a symbol of love and tradition in Kerala food. The simple yet soul-satisfying ingredients of Semiya Payasam narrate stories of Kerala’s heritage. Vermicelli, once a humble staple, ghee, cardamom, and others – all these ingredients blend together and mirror the unity and diversity celebrated during Onam.
In every spoonful of Semiya Payasam, there’s a tale of tradition, a taste of togetherness, and a burst of sweetness that warms your soul. Every house cooks the dish according to their unique traditions and the recipe becomes the vessel for generations of culinary wisdom. This reflects the age-old bond that binds us all together in love and culinary delight.
This Onam, cook Semiya Payasam with love and get all the ingredients from our Seattle Indian Supermarkets in:
Bothell Thrasher’s Corner
Redmond Town Center